Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Padparadscha - The Legend of the Lotus in Sunset




We are all fascinated with legends, fables and stories... I am not exception. I remember my ex telling me about this extremely rare coloured sapphire that is very highly coveted: the Padparadscha which means the Lotus in Sunset. My ex heard it from an old indian man he met during a flight who was wearing this gem. Apparently many hail this as a legendary colour...

What is the colour of Padparadscha? The Lotus in Sunset?

"It is neither pink nor orange but it is both! Once you see the colour, you will never forget the colour, it is a colour that will capture your heart!" the old Indian man said. After that incident, my ex visited many jewelers. One day, several year later, he finally found one...

My Legend

The two pictures that you see are photos of one stone. Unfortunately, my ex did not give me his Padparadscha, I had to search for my own legend. This one weighs 2.94 carats and it has been certified to be natural. After seeing the one that my ex owns, it took me 7 years to find this one... one fateful day, I wandered into a shop that was selling gemstones but I could only see this particular gem amongst many many fancy coloured sapphires in the display case. I also remember telling myself that I want this regardless of its price.

Fake Legends? Legend-wannabes?

I have seen many "so called Padparadschas" that are deep pink and intense orange in colour and I have also seen orange sapphires that have a pink hint in them and vice versa... there are some that are pink in colour with zones of orange whilst others are orange sapphires that have areas that have pink and all of the above have been named "Padparadschas"...

If you ask me, I will say that the Padparadscha should be neither pink nor orange but both pink and orange. Most importantly, like all legends, it should capture your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Site Meter