Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gems: Colour, Clarity, Cut & Carat

I was having tea with some friends when the subject of the 4 Cs came up. Mind you, we were not talking about the 4 Cs in the male species of homo sapiens but the 4 Cs of Gems!

I chose this gem to illustrate the 4 Cs because it is a classic dilemma for many...




Colour:

Colour is extremely important. A good colour... though this gems is not Kashmir Blue, it is a decent cornflower blue from Ceylon. What is most important is that the colour is natural. With the wide array of treatments available for gems these days, I would prefer something natural but not as saturated in its colour. If I were so caught up with have the right colour, I would just buy a lab created one with the perfect colour.

Clarity:

Many collectors are happy with a gem that is eye clean. Meaning that you cannot see any visible flaws when you look at it with your naked eye. For me, Colour and clarity are very important factors to pick up a stone (besides the obvious: That it should be natural). Many collectors also look at gems with a lens that has a 10 times magnification. I use a 20 times magnification lens. Which shows how clarity is important to me. I go for stones that are loupe clean. Meaning that you cannot see any prominent inclusions in the stone.

Cut:

Different gems have different classic cuts to me. For rubies: Cabachons are the best. Mind you, many have the impression that cabachons are mean for gems that are not gem quality or this is a cut meant for gems that are inferior quality. I for one have seen gem quality cabachons and that are mind blowing. Why do you think premium grade rubies are called pigeon blood red? Have you seen a faceted drop of blood from a pigeon?

I prefer sapphires to be in cushion cut. Cushion cut is the classic cut for Sapphires while emeralds should be in table or emerald cut. For emeralds to be cut in the emerald, they have to be of a certain quality in colour and clarity. For those who know their gems, they will understand that it is hard to find an emerald that is a rich colour and clear enough to be cut in the emerald cut.

Another point that I think is important is the proportion of the cut. To me, it is important that the cut is proportionate and there is a decent thickness for the girdle of the gem. Otherwise, the gem gets damaged easily during setting.


Carat:

For this C, I only have one motto: The larger the better! Provided they satisfy all of the above Cs because at the end of the day, Size is important is to many women.

Many collectors have an unspoken rule... that is stones that are worthy of collection should be 3 Carats and above. Now, the reason why I chose this particular stone to feature is because:

Colour: Cornflower blue, from Ceylon (Natural)
Clarity: Loupe Clean
Cut: Cushion (excellent proportion with a nice thick girdle)
Size: 2.94 Cts


My point is... there is no hard and fast rule to collecting stones. They are products of nature so they almost never fulfill all of the required factors. Like men!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Site Meter